Are you, like many others, wondering…so what is naturopathy and what is the big buzz about it anyway? Let me first start by saying, great question! As you continue to read on, you will find that naturopathy is more than just becoming one with nature (which is great if that is your thing) and drinking tea every day (which does not require naturopathy to enjoy).
Naturopathic medicine is a system of primary healthcare that blend conventional and alternative care models that are supported by modern scientific evidence-based practice. It is an integrative approach to healthcare that collaborates with conventional medical therapies to support the body’s healing process. Naturopathy embraces natural therapies and therapeutic modalities that include botanical medicine, clinical nutrition, homeopathy, lifestyle counseling, etc.
Naturopathic doctors are clinically trained and educated at a 4-yr accredited naturopathic medical school. The naturopathic approach emphasizes patient education and self-care while practicing the six fundamental principles of Naturopathic Medicine:
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Nature)- Stimulate/Support body’s natural healing processes
- Identify and Treat Causes (Tolle Causam)- Identify and remove causes of illness and obstacles to recovery
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere)- Utilize natural, least invasive, and least toxic therapies
- Doctor As Teacher (Docere)- Educate patient and encourage self-responsibility
- Treat The Whole Person- Body is an integrated whole (body, mind, spirit)
- Prevention- Emphasize disease prevention and overall health wellness
As Florida has not issued licenses to NDs since 1959 Naturopathic Doctors are not recognized in the State of Florida. Many ND’s hold their licenses in the jurisdiction of other licensed states. In Florida, Naturopathic Doctors are here as natural health consultants, sharing their educational training and experience.
Still want to know more? Feel free to visit the links referenced at the end of this post for more information.
Dr. Elena Alisma, ND
–www.aanmc.org (photo credit)
–https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCXH1-Bzvw (Why Naturopathic Medicine)